Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Great Escape

With the release of the new record "Adventures in Your Own Backyard" yesterday, it seems like everyone's been talking about Patrick Watson.  And by everyone, I mean my pal Matt from Wpg, my blog buddy/Patrick Watson fan Siobhan, Kathleen Edwards in my Twitter feed, and even my mother.  (She saw them on TV and figured they were the type of band I'd like... she is right.)

Today I thought about Patrick Watson and how I've never seen them.  I knew that they were playing in Toronto sometime this spring and all my sources tell me that they are an amazing live band.  I looked to see if there were any more tickets left, and all that was left were a few single seats in the balcony of the venue.

This made me think that perhaps I should take myself on a nice concert date.  There really is no point in looking for a concert buddy when at best, s/he'll be sitting behind me.  The more I thought about it, the more I wanted to go, so I got my ticket tonight.  It's an aisle seat, so I'll only have to sit beside one stranger.

I haven't been to a concert by myself in a long time.  I think the last time was a few summers ago, when I saw Neko Case at Massey Hall.  It was a situation similar to this.  By the time I realized I wanted to go, there were only single seats left, so I figured why not take advantage? I did, and I had a really good time.  It was Neko Case, after all.

I know I've dropped into some various free shows on my own in the past.  I remember when I was in university, Blue Rodeo was playing a free lunchtime show somewhere downtown.  I also had a paper due that day at 5 pm.  I stayed up all night writing, took a break to see Blue Rodeo, came home, finished the paper, and handed it in an hour before the deadline.

I've only been to one bar-type show by myself.  This was again during my university days, but I distinctly remember it was during one of the summers where I stayed in Toronto and worked for the provincial government.  The Weakerthans announced a surprise show at the Rivoli, one of my favourite small venues, and there was NO WAY I was going to miss that. Becca T, my fellow Weakerthans super-fan, was back in Ottawa for the summer.   Since it was a really last minute announcement, all my friends who remained in the city were unavailable, but that wasn't going to stop me.  It was enjoyable, and I noticed a lot of people there alone and I didn't feel uncomfortable.  In fact, since this was before smartphones, I noticed a few people who pulled out books to read in between sets.

So yah, I guess with this Patrick Watson show, I'm re-entering the world of solo concert-going.  However, I usually have no problem finding a buddy, so I don't think it will be a common occurrence, but it's nice to know that I can do it if there's something I don't want to miss out on.  And, hey, you can definitely cash in on single tickets to good shows at the last minute.  I think there's a bit of freedom and empowerment that comes from being able to do something like this on your own, and I'm rather looking forward to it.

How do you guys feel about going to things on your own?



6 comments:

Alexandra said...

I'm certain you'll have a great time! Who knows, you might even find your concert-going buddy AT the concert!

I love doing things on my own and treasure my alone time.

Jabba said...

When I first moved to Vancouver I was in concert heaven. Coming from a small town in the prairies - you get it.
I went to TONS of concerts on my own: Tori Amos (twice), Bob Dylan/Van Morrison, Smashing Pumpkins were probably the biggest ones. I didn't know anyone out here, so it was either miss the concert (not an option) or go alone.

I usually had a great time as well. It's cool cause you are totally in your own world enjoying the music in your own way, with no interruptions.

I also went to one all ages gig at UBC - Foo Fighters. Not as great, but I blame the all ages aspect.

The Grunt said...

I don't get too bothered about doing things on my own, but concerts are always better with company. But, if you just have to see some band/artist, going alone is okay.

Unknown said...

I'm freak out about doing things on my own but if it is something I really wanted/needed to do then it I'd always worth it.

PW will be worth it. And you pickled one of my favourite songs of all rime for your post.

wigsf3 said...

I do all kinds of things solo. For somebody like me (ugly with a body odour problem), being alone in public is inevitable.
I've never been to a concert by myself unless I count the times I roadied for bands and spent much of the show just watching the concert by myself in the corner.
In college, I went to see a lot of movies by myself.
Occasionally I will dine out at a restaurant by myself.
The hardest to deal with aspect of these activities is passing the time. All of those little moments when you would be talking to somebody, there's nobody to talk to. Sure, you can spark conversations with strangers, but c'mon. You never know what kind of weirdos you meet that way.
Ultimately, you get used to being alone in public.

Miss Ash said...

That's so funny my mom and I were talking about going to concerts alone the other day. I've never done that myself but was telling her about a friend of mine who had, she got a great last minute seat and had a fabulous time.

I don't mind doing things by myself, I've dined alone, gone to the movies alone heck I left my friends in Japan and went off for a week solo.