Sunday, April 22, 2012

I'm at a payphone trying to call home.

This weekend I had a lot of plans on the go, but enough downtime to relax a little too.  It made me feel a little bit more like myself than I have in a long time.  I like a good balance of busy and relaxing.

On Saturday night, I went to see the movie "Jiro Dreams of Sushi" at the TIFF Lightbox.  The Lightbox is the fairly new headquarters of the Toronto International Film Festival.  I'd only been there once before to see the Tim Burton exhibition in the fall.  This was my first time seeing a movie there, and it was a very nice experience.

The film was a documentary about the world's premiere sushi chef.  The way making sushi was set to music in the movie was beautiful.  It was also interesting watching a man so dedicated to his craft, and watching the dynamics he had with his son who worked with him.  I'd recommend this film.



I also went to the baptism of a friend's daughter.  The reception afterwards was a bit amazing.  She'd spent three days baking cookies, cupcakes, cake pops, and a beautiful cake.  I wanted to try everything but got full fast.

I also bought a Kobo to replace my dead Kindle.  I set it up tonight, and I have to say I don't like it as much as I liked my Kindle.  The Kindle worked much more seamlessly.  I decided to move to Kobo so I could download library books onto it.  The Kindle isn't compatible with public libraries in Canada.  However, I can still replace my old Kindle at a reduced price, and I might do it, just because I liked it better.  My mom, for some odd reason, seems to think I should have both kinds.  Maybe once I get used to my Kobo, I won't miss my Kindle as much and won't bother replacing it.  But seeing my empty red Kindle cover, with the very nice light, makes me think that I should foot the $65 and replace it.   I'm still looking forward to downloading books for free from the library, hence I'm keeping my Kobo too.

It's weird how I really started missing having an E-reader.  I'm so over reading big books on the subway and they take up so much room in my bag! 

I also got addicted to the new Maroon 5 song this weekend.  Oh, how I love my guilty pop pleasures.  I used to hate Maroon 5 with a passion, but I really do like this new song.  I think it's 'cuz I really feel the lyrics and like the swearing in it. 

Well, that was my weekend.  Hope you all have a good Monday!

4 comments:

The Grunt said...

I'm sitting here laughing because my first thought when I read "Kobo" was that you bought a monkey (it just sounds like a pet monkey to me, I guess). It's funny how my mind wishes that were true.

wigsf3 said...

But master, we need your skilled hands.

MY SKILLED HANDS ARE BUSY!

Jabba said...

Well, you could use the kobo for library books and the new kindle for other books......? Too bad you don't like the kobo! I'm glad I'm not the only one who is over reading real books!
How did your friend have time to do all that baking and look after a new born? I'm assuming it was a new born.....

Claire said...

I'm interested to read what you're feeling about the Kobo. I'm pretty much #teamkindle!