Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Last Day in Paris

After my very enjoyable day in Bruges, I was left with one more day in Paris.

Becca T and I woke up early and dragged ourselves for a run in the Bois de Vincennes. It was really nice. It was the only run I did all trip, but that's okay. I think I got a lot of exercise from the wandering around I did, plus the fact I climbed a lot of stairs every day (Metro, to Becca's flat).

After the run, I had my fave lunch of baguette, brie, and Orangina Light. Becca had work meetings in the afternoon, so I decided to do my last sight-seeing of the trip. I went out to Malmaison, which is Josephine Bonaparte's chateau. It's all the way out in the suburbs, so I had to take the line #1 all the way to the end (La Grande Arche), then take about a 30 minute bus ride to the chateau.

I was interested in Malmasion because I read an excellent series of books on Josephine Bonaparte a few years ago: The Josephine B. Trilogy by Sandra Gulland. If you enjoy historical fiction, I highly recommend this series. Anyway, when I was looking through my guidebook to figure out something to do on the last day, I came across Malmaison and decided it would be the perfect thing to do. The book described it as "small but extremely pleasant" and I completely agree.

The chateau was completely restored and had lots of Josephine/Napoleon memorabilia. I think my favourite things to look at were the little vanity cases of each of the Bonapartes. It was interesting seeing old fashioned scissors, toothbrushes, etc. Unfortunately, I didn't get good pictures of them. Anyway, the chateau was restored very nicely, and it was interesting walking through the rooms and imagining what life was like when the house was lived in by the Emporer and Empress. It was no Versailles, but very pleasant.

The front of the chateau:



Here's the dining room:

A portrait of the Empress in Napoleon's bedroom:

Napoleon's bedroom:

Josephine's bedroom:

Me in a mirror.

The famous portrait of Napoleon crossing the alps. Oh so humble.

After I left the chateau, I did hit up the gift shop. I bought my dad a Napoleon pen and mini note-pad. I knew he'd adored them. For myself, I got a Josephine pillbox to go with my Marie Anoinette pillbox from Versailles. Apparently I have started a collection of pillboxes of my favourite French Queens/Empresses. Becca T though this collection was hilarious, and joked we'd be fighting over them in the nursing home. (Becca T and I have a long-running joke that we will resume our university roommate-hood when we move into a nursing home and much hilarity will ensue. I look forward to my sunset year.)

After I left the chateau, I took a quick look at the modern Grande Arche. Definitely the most modern thing I've seen in Paris. I know people who are big fans, but I'm meh about it.

After that, I headed back to Central Paris. I browsed at some shops in the Marais, and then walked back to Notre Dame. I had plans to go to the famous English bookshop across from Notre Dame called Shakespeare & Company, but I decided why not go inside Notre Dame, even though I'd been there years before? It turned out that I was there in time for Mass, and I decided that it would an interesting thing to experience, so I stayed.

I then met up with Becca T for dinner. We chose a cute little French restaurant with a nice Prixe Fixe. Then, we brought a bottle of wine to the Seine, and spent some time talking and drinking.

I've caught up to this post now.

Sunday morning, I was on the Metro out to CDG at 10 am to catch my flight to Montreal. I had a two hour stop-over in Montreal, and then it was back to Toronto. It was a nice flight overall. I read over half of Jonathan Franzen's The Corrections, so I felt that my time in transit was time well spent.

At the airport, my good pals Paola and Fea picked me up which was so sweet. My previous ride bailed on me, and I didn't have it in me to take a cab or transit. It's so nice to be met after a trip by good friends with a welcome back sign. Awww. It made my return to Toronto seem way less sad.

And that's it for my series of post on my much-needed March Break in Paris. I'm still struggling at getting back to real life here. However, I do have some ideas for my summer trips, and as soon as they are for-sure, I'll let you guys know. This just might be the summer where I finish Canada... and by that I mean visit the two provinces that I've not been to yet.

Au revoir!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the sign. I hate travelling back alone on transit after a long journey. It kind of kills the holiday buzz but being met is brilliant.

It sounds like a great trip. I look forward to hearing of your summer holiday plans - you tend to do great things.

Claire said...

Yay for signs! You totally need to come to London again so I can make you another sign. :)

Jabba said...

I can't believe your friends made a sign - that is FANTASTIC!! I must say I've never had anyone greet me with a sign.

I'm marking that book as a must-read. I was loving the historical fiction before I went to Italy and appreciate the recommendations.

Josephine's bed itself looks like a painting!

The Grunt said...

Napoleon is proof positive of the power of overcompensation.

Glad you had such a great trip and that you are having a warm welcome home.

Kevin said...

Franzen's The Corrections bored the crap out of me.
France on the other hand did not. I know why you keep going back there. where and when is your next adventure?