Now that I'm done posting about Paris, I guess I have to get back to my usual material: music, life, books, you know, that stuff.
This song is my current anthem. OK, I just found it today, but I've decided it's my springtime anthem. I didn't need much time to make this declaration, obvs.
I love Dragonette for a couple of reasons. Their ubiquitous song "Hello" (with Martin Solveig), blasted from an advertising bus, greeted me last March when Becca T and I alighted our bus from the airport to a rainy Placa Cataluyna. That song will always be my Barcelona hello.
My second reason for loving Dragonette is that before she was in Dragonette, lead singer Martina Sorbara was a singer-songwriter playing the Toronto/Ontario scene. I was in my early twenties, and I first caught her as an opener for Hawksley Workman at Call the Office in London, Ontario. I remember that my crew and I all loved her, and after that I made a point of seeing her when she was playing bar shows in Toronto. I listened a lot to her album A Cure for Bad Deeds back in my university days. Some of her songs helped me out with my early-twenties boy problems, which in retrospect, were pieces of cake.
Years ago when I first came across the electronic band Dragonette and found out it was Martina singing, I was pretty happy that she'd found a new place. Apparently, Dragonette is quite popular in Europe, no?
ANYWAY, the point of this is that I love their new single a lot. I think I've been listening to too much histrionic stuff lately, like my dear Hawksley Workman. I love him, but man, that dude's got some good bitter music for when it's needed. Usually I listen to his happy stuff, but I dug deep into his catalogue, and found some pretty great stuff where he's heartbroken and loses his shit. Love it, but I gotta wean myself off of it a bit. I should listen more to his songs about autumn and motorcycles instead of the sad stuff.
In addition, having the words "let it go" running through my head is good advice. I realize that I'm being really HARD ON MYSELF lately, and I need to you know, just let my criticisms go and give myself a big metaphorical hug. Maybe even do a Stuart Smalley daily affirmation as needed.
One nice thing that helps me when I'm being hard on myself is to read some random posts from my blog archives. It's funny, but when I read my old posts, I find myself really like myself, and thinking "hey, I'm cheering for that girl." Whoever thought that would be a benefit to years of blogging?
But, yah, awesome song by Dragonette. Think I'll be listening to it on repeat as I'm training for my two May runs. I can't believe that my 10K is in one month and four days. I will live through it.
I am reading the Hunger Games right now. I'm hooked. It's a great book. I see why all the kids at school are carrying it around. I think I'll go back to reading it now. I should do a book review post soon since I've been reading lots of interesting stuff.
6 comments:
Ah, Stuart Smalley. It made me laugh and forget my cares for a bit. I hope that you get feeling better about things. "Things" can be a bitch, right?
I like dragonette too. I didn't know they had a single out so I will have to check it out.
What hawksley workman album should I listen to first?? I am clueless.
Yay book review! Do it.
It's hard to imagine that we've been doing this for some time but aren't you glad you have something this accessible to look back at your thoughts and feelings, and then think, the best way was through it all.
me likey Hunger Games too.
I do like this song and agree that some positive music can make quite the difference. I like your connection to the song/singer too. You are very cool.
I am really looking forward to reading Hunger Games. I have heard great things about it. I have it penciled in for the week at the cottage this summer. I am glad you are giving yourself some Stuart pep talks.
You are the coolest, missy. I'm so glad you're enjoying Hunger Games!
Post a Comment