As I'm counting down until the summer of 2012, I might have some plans for summer 2013 in the works.
A colleague of mine told me about an info session that he was going to about a leadership trip to Kenya that my school board offers every year. It's offered to students for course credit, and they also need teachers to go for supervision.
During this trip, our group will work with people in the community, and build a school while we are there. In addition, there will be time for fun things like safaris too, so it won't all be physical labour, but there will be a lot of it.
I'll have to live in a tent in Kenya for a few weeks, but it sounds like an amazing, possibly life-changing, experience. I think going to be immersed in a different culture will be incredible, and not only that, I'll get to concretely make a difference in the world by actually building a school.
It'll be cool to work with teachers and other students from around my board too. My colleague, and a couple of students from our school, are considering going too, but regardless, I'm 90% sure I'm going to do it no matter what. You know when an opportunity presents itself and you can feel all of your cells telling you to take it? That's how I'm feeling. My only reservations are around what ifs. What if my parents get sick and I can't go? The nice thing about this trip is that since it's organized by one of best people in my board, that if something like that happened, I could get my deposit back. Other than that, what could really stand between me and Kenya 2013? Nothing, I don't think.
I've always wanted to go to Africa, and doing something that is about service, and will be a complete challenge for me seems like what I need.
I'm going to think about this for a bit more, but I think I'm going to send in my application and deposit before I leave for the summer. I like committing to challenges. I'll let you guys know when it's official, but seriously, what do you guys think? Should I do it? (Yes, I'll have to pay for the experience, but I can afford it and I think it will be an invaluable investment.)
Also, I'll have to live those three weeks without internet, but I'll be keeping a good journal.
AND THE ANIMALS! I CAN'T WAIT FOR THEM! (Yes, shouting is required when it comes to this.)
9 comments:
Can I come too? GO!!!!!
oh WOW! didn't see the post ahead of the tweet - you're already so excited, why hold back! Especially with the security should something require you stay home for family reasons. Lions, gazelles, and zebras, or squirrels, chipmunks, and squirrels?
UM, YESSSSS!!!! GOOOOOO!!
One of my high school teacher's did that trip when I was in high school. She gave this whole assembly speech about her trip. She took photos and stuff. She taught us about the class structure of the people there and the methods the people there use to learn English and stuff like that. It's a very difficult yet rewarding journey. That was one of the two things I took away from her speech. The other being my own sick and twisted pessimistic view of the world so it's best I keep those views to myself.
If you wanna go, go. Just get your shots before you go.
One more thing, I remember my teacher saying the people in Kenya are very finicky as to how you pronouce "Kenya."
Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
What a great experience. Your parents would be disappointed if you didn't go because of them (I am sure of it). Maybe we should make you sleep outside in a tent for the Glamping experience so that you can get some experience ;)
Amazing opportunity! Of COURSE you should go (and stop off in London on your way back;)!
This is so awesome! You go on such cool trips. I predict that you will be the first person on Mars, btw.
This sounds like a fantastic opportunity - I'd take it with both hands!
I would go back to Africa in a heartbeat! Seriously, what an amazing opportunity for personal growth and to also help others in this world! You totally need to do this!!! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Post a Comment