It's been a busy few days around here, and to top it off, I've caught an awful summer cold. Yuck.
On Thursday, I finally got to meet Jabba! She and her husband had taken the train(!) halfway across the country for the experience and to visit Toronto. They had just arrived that afternoon, as their train was a few hours late, so it was super fun taking them around Toronto for the first time. I introduced them to the TTC, took them on their first street car ride, took them to College Street for dinner, showed them around Kensington Market, and then gave them a tour of the Harbourfront.
It's so fun seeing one's city through visitors' eyes. They were amazed at how you have to walk out into traffic to board a streetcar... I have sort of forgotten that you have to do that. They seemed to really like Toronto on their first impression, which makes me glad, because, well, the rest of Canada loves to hate Toronto, so it's nice to hear good things. I can't wait to hear about what else they got up to in Toronto.
Also, I LOVED meeting up with Jabba! We met through rawbean and we have a lot in common: we both like reading a lot, music, travel, knitting, blogging etc. I loved getting a chance to meet her in person, and I'm really looking forward to having more time together when I head out west this summer.
On Friday, my last day of teaching (!), I was treated to dinner by a colleague who won an award for which I wrote him a letter of reference. He got a $200 gift certificate, so he, his other reference, and I blew it all at a restaurant. Then, we went to see a couple of other colleagues who were performing in a musical. My friends from work are all sorts of talented, I tell you.
This cold really hit me on Friday. I was having a hard time teaching my classes because I was losing my voice. It's hard to play exam review Jeopardy (my traditional last day activity) and give my sappy goodbye speech when I can barely talk. After the musical, I was so ready to go home and sleep.
On Saturday, I was still feeling crappy, but I wanted to see Dan Mangan & Kathleen Edwards play a free show for Luminato because they are awesome, and no summer cold is going to keep me from music. I had invited some friends anyhow, and I'm not one to cancel. Anyway, both artists were great and I'm glad I went.
I was supposed to hang out with my friend Teresa that evening, but when she saw how sick I was, she bailed on me because she didn't want to catch it. It was probably for the best, because I needed more sleep.
Today's been really chill. I have been reading and headed downtown for one last Luminato free show: Ohbijou. They were great, and I'm glad that the rain held off for their performance. The forecast called for thunderstorms, and they haven't arrived yet but it looks like they could happen any second.
Hope you all have great weeks! It's exam week which means no planning (yay!) but lots and lots of marking. But there's an end in sight!
p.s. The new Metric album is great. I've been listening to it non-stop.
3 comments:
Mother f&$ker! I bet you caught that cold from us! I am so sorry! Man that little nephew of mine has infected a LOT of people I think. Blast!
It was SO great hanging with you last week - is it already last week? How can that be?! Yes, it IS weird walking across traffic to get on a streetcar! I will hold on to that opinion.
We are in Ottawa now, have taken around 600 photos so far, but most of the good ones are on the camera. I wish I could get them and do another post.....soon.
So glad you have had such a great week and seen so many shows.
I hope you feel better soon!
Summer colds blow. Get feeling better!
Post a Comment