I was going to post something brilliant today but it's just too damned hot. We're under an extreme heat alert today in Toronto. Apparently it was 35 degrees Celsius today or some such nonsense. I'd rather not even know.
I had my last set of exams written today. I teach on the third floor of the building, and as you may recall from your own science education, hot air rises. My classroom was a sauna. Most of the students had wet paper towels at their desks to wipe the sweat from their brows as they wrote. Ridiculous. And to think, summer school starts in a couple weeks. I'm glad that I manage my money well enough, nor am greedy enough, to participate in that mess. Yes, three weeks of teaching summer school could pay off a nice vacation, but is it worth the blood, sweat, and tears? (Mostly sweat, I'm sure.) I think not. I'll just purchase one less ivory backscratcher during the school year, thank you very much. (Mr. Burns reference there for you.)
Anyway, apparently the heat will break tomorrow. Good news: I'm done marking all of my exams and am onto report card land. After that, it's a week of clean-up and bye bye 2011/2012 school year.
One thing that I miss already is my classes. It's weird that those three groups that I spent the last five months with will never again be together. Makes me a little bit wistful at the end of each semester. I had good classes all year, but right now I especially miss my period two grade ten class from this semester. We even had a few good laughs during the exam. There's nothing better in this world than a really nice group of teenagers.
6 comments:
I hope the heat does break, I love reading how much you love teaching and get a kick out of the students. It makes me very happy.
Soon it will be summer and adventures galore!
"Poolmobile?!?"
Oh. My. God girl. I don't know how you live through this heat. We are in Montreal now and have the same heat wave.....dude, the birds are PANTING. My fingers are so sticky I'm surprised my iPad is recognizing them. We had to come back to the hotel for relief...and showers!
I hear you on the wistfulness...and I love the Mr Burns reference!
Next thing you'll be buying are some loafers (former gophers).
Do they not have air conditioning? I bet the principals office does :)
Post a Comment