Wednesday, March 30, 2005

But the game is for the adults, and I don't know how to play.

Today was one of those days where you feel like going shopping to relieve after-work stress. So I went up to the cheap bookstore a lil' north of Yonge & Eg. Cheap bookstores are dangerous places. I bought 4(!) books. Now, all of these were half price, so really it was just the same as buying 2 books, right? Well, that's how I'm justifying it to myself.

So yeah, I got The Red Tent by Anita Diamant. It was highly recommended to me by a co-worker last year. Next I picked up Million Dollar Baby. I can easily justify that, since I can always use it as a father's day gift. Now, if you don't know my dad, you are thinking to yourself, that I'm a horrible, horrible daughter to think of giving my dad a book that I'm planning on reading myslef. However, that's how my father believes in giving books. To him, it is extremely rude to give a book that you haven't "tested" to make sure it's good.

Then I picked up Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson. Can't go wrong with Bryson. Finally, I got The Forest Lover by Susan Vreeland. It's about Emily Carr. I really enjoy a good novel about an artist and their art.

Something else I really enjoy is when people put graffiti on advertisements. Today I sat directly across from the good ol' "My name is Julie. Last night I did a striptease for my husband" subway ad. The one that asks the probing question "What would you do with a few pounds less?" Someone had written the question "What would you do if you felt beautiful the way you are now?" in black permanet marker on the ad. Yay! I love when people do that. Then, as I walked home on Yonge, I could see that someone had placed a red "ads suck" sticker on the "For Me, Myself and I" Botox ad. So, I guess I can conclude that it's a good day when I've seen two of my most hated ads defaced.

All this graffiti on ads made me think of my all-time favourite piece of graffiti. This summer I was taking the train from Toronto to Stratford and as we passed through Kitchener, I saw "MANILOW RULES!" spray painted on some old abandoned warehouse. Honestly, if you're vandalizing with such a sense of humour, is it such a sin?

No comments: