Monday, April 04, 2005

This girl only sleeps with butterflies.

Argle bargle. I'm experiencing a bit of punctuation trauma right now. But what else is new? I was walking down Yonge St. today and I saw an ad for a new store whose slogan was "why not be original" or some such drivel. It would have been a much, much more effective slogan if they had actually posed "Why not be original?" as a question by using our handy dandy friend the question mark. Sigh. Anyhow, you could be asking me that very same question right now, since picking at punctuation has become a bit cliche after the runaway success of Eats shoots & leaves, but anyone who knows me can attest that I've been a stickler for years.

I've also been blasted with a dozen or so tramatic cases of misused apostrophes today. Although, that's no excuse for the shopping binge I accidentally committed. That's what happens when I don't stay late at work. I have a bit of energy and decide to wander around somewhere that ineveitably has stores. I got myself a new spring jacket. It looks really sharp so I think I'm excused. I also got myslef a new hoodie and a pair of black yoga pants. They're comfy and I'm wearing them right now.

I'm suffering from what I have just, right now, instantaneously coined "subway materialism". This affects those of us who commute via the subway daily. I'm stuck in a small enclosed space with strangers for a good hour of my day and all I can really do is look at what they are wearing, why kind of bags they have etc. I end up craving many assorted objects that I normally never would want: my case in point is my Lululemon bag. Now, I think I was also suffering jacket inferiority which led to today's purchase. I suppose paying attention to the advertisments could curb this for me, but at least I am controlling what I covet, if you catch my drift. You could argue that I could stop this whole problem by reading a book on the subway, but my brain really can't handle that in the morning.

No comments: