Saturday, April 02, 2005

We've been saying this for years...

Okay, here's a dirty secret of mine: pretty much every day I read the Sneakin' Beacon online to see what's up in my home town. Guess I should add a link to it on this blog.

I just read an interesting article called "The Darker Side of Perth County". A report was released by a social planning committe about the quality of life in Perth County. Here are some of the key findings:

"• The rate of violent and property crimes in Stratford is higher than the provincial average.
• Perth County residents are significantly less educated than provincial norms.
• Perth County, together with the counties of Grey, Bruce and Huron, have significantly higher drinking rates than the province, while smoking rates are about the same.
• Drug-related offences in Stratford are higher than both provincial and national rates.
• All municipalities except North Perth have higher rates of impaired driving charges than the provincial average, but North Perth has a higher rate of general traffic offences than the rest of the county."


I don't think any of my pals back home would be surprised by this. We've been commenting on the high drinking rates for years.

No comments: