Sunday, November 20, 2005

If you wannabe my lover, you gotta get with my friends.

Well I am home safe from my lovely weekend getaway from the city. But I'm very very glad to be back in the city now.

Anyhow, my weekend was super relaxing. When I arrived home on Friday night, I had dinner with my parents and made a quick trip to Zellers to get some wool to start on a new scarf. It's for me this time! Anyway, I just knit in front of the TV on Friday night.

Oh gosh, I can't even really remember what I did on Saturday during the day. Oh, I went to the mall in search of a new pair of shoes. A totally silly thing to do in Stratford since the mall's really tiny and really doesn't have much in the way of shoe stores...

Then Saturday night was our big girls' (and two boys) night out. It was very fun! We started at Molly Bloom's, which is supposed to be an Irish pub. We managed to annex a large section at the back and had a great time being loud and rowdy. Discussions centred around the marriage pool - i.e. who is going to be next and apparently some people have their money on me of all people. A couple of my friends have decided I'm going to meet a doctor/scientist, have about a 3 month relationship, get married super fast and then live in a big house. Hmmmm, I wouldn't object to this. Of course, the marriage/baby pool has a tendancy to be way off. When it came to kids, my friend T was last on the list for having a kid and she ended up being first.

Oh the live music at Molly Bloom's was priceless. The singer decided that he stomach was a great percussion instrument and pulled up his shirt and started drumming on his bare belly during a cover of "Mr. Brightside".

After a few drinks, we decided to changed venues. Which is a hard thing to do in Stratford since the bar scene is very, very, very pitiful. We wanted to go somewhere with a dancefloor, which lead us to pretty much our only option - Classics (also known as Divorce Court) which attracts a high proportion of Stratford's redneck/cougar population.

We weren't there for 20 minutes when a fight broke out a few feet away from us. As my friend S said "Apparently that guy's Ford was better than that guy's Dodge." A few minutes after the fight, quite a few older women thought it'd be a great time to table dance... There was one chick who was up there for an hour. We were totally impressed with her stamina. To quote my friend C "One redneck bar fight, 3 table dancing cougars, and a whole lotta fugly.... priceless. For everything else there's Mastercard."

So yeah, I totally dug being at the seedy local bar for the irony of it. I don't think I could handle going there anymore than every three years.

What was totally depressing is that there were actually two wedding parties that ended up there, complete with bride and groom. What a way to set your marriage off on the wrong foot! We've always referred to the bar as Divorce Court, since on most nights you can see quite a few marriages breaking up. Don't these people have honeymoons to go to?

Anyway, I've had enough small town colour to do me for awhile, but it was totally fun hanging out with my pals. I totally forgot to bring my camera, so I don't have any pictures. Argh!

Hope ya'll have a good week. I'm off to have some supper, watch the Simpsons and Desparate Housewives and do some work. Oh - and I'm totally psyched 'cuz tomorrow night TB and I are going to see Harry Potter at the Imax screen at Paramount.

ps Yes, they still play Spice Girls at Stratford bars, hence the title of my post.

2 comments:

Scott said...

Hey!! Sounds like the weekend in Stratford was good. would have thought there would be some better places to go out there what with the plays and what not. Guess that attracts and older crowd though.

I don't know anyone who has been to Mongolia either, but it would have to be pretty wild no??

Scott

Unknown said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend! Glad you were able to see all of your friends and you family :D