My posted Oscar picks were 4 for 7. Not too shabby. And, although I'm probably just as bummed as Tim Burton is over the Corpse Bride loss (okay, maybe slightly less bummed), I think I'll survive.
Overall, I predicted 13 out of the total 24 categories. That's over 50%, so at least I passed. Becca T got 13 too. Rematch next year.
Very surprised at the Crash best pic win. I thought that it'd either go Brokeback for both best pic and director or Crash for best pic and director. I wasn't expecting a split.
Jon Stewart made me happy. I thought he did a great job. Of course, I'm totally biased so I don't really count myself as an objective opinion. I killed myself laughing when he referred to himself as the "fourth male lead" in Death to Smoochy and therefore, not a Hollywood outsider.
And the Oscar to cutest actor at the Oscars goes to... oh look, a tie between George Clooney and Jake Gyllenhaal. Both cute. Becca T and I had the ever important "Would you date George Clooney despite his advanced age?" discussion. She said yes, although her parents would be concerned. I said yes, even though my mother would try to steal him away from me. Mom proved me right when I called her after the Oscars to see how she'd enjoyed the show and the second thing she said was "George Clooney is very good looking. I'm glad he won." (Btw, the first thing she was that Jon Stewart did an excellent job... like mother, like daughter I guess.)
Becca T made me almost die with laughter at one point. George Clooney had come onto stage and I said "Oh look, it's George Clooney" and she replied "What's he doing?" in a tone that implied we were watching, oh, a football game and George Clooney walked out onto the field. Thankfully, we'd run out of wine at that point because I suspected she didn't need any more.
Becca T was disappointed that Capote didn't pick up more Oscars. She realllllllly like the movie, mostly because she thought Truman Capote was an interesting character and she would have liked to have been friends with him. Methinks someone is getting a Truman Capote-themed birthday present this year.
What was Charlize thinking with that bow on her dress?
I think my favourite gown of the night was Michelle Williams'. I liked the colour. However, I withold my final verdict until I see more pictures of it in magazines. I only saw a few brief glimpses of it on the red carpet, so I may be wrong. I also thought it was cool that Sandra Bullock had a dress with pockets. Neat-o.
Allright, so I must be off to bed. Tomorrow's just another Manic Monday. I'll let you know if I win the staff Oscar pool. I figure that I should at least place.
ps I sincerely doubt I will ever mention George Clooney this much in a post again.
6 comments:
i'm sorry about corpse bride. i was pulling for it.
i think it is better (and was hoping) that brokeback and crash split director and best picture. they are both big on content... hopefully in getting people to realize that no matter race, sexual orientation, or whatever other social constructs that can be used to divide, we are all human beings, and that should be the main thing we see in each other.
Good job on the picks. I was happy to see Crash win, mainly because it was the only movie that I saw of the Best Picture nominees.
Jessica Alba had the best dress... I didn't see too many, but man!
Scott
Nice work! I would totally date Clooney too, there's just something about him! Rar.
I hated Michelle Williams' dress...the colour was hideous! I don'r know if I had a favourit...Amy Adams dress was nice, as was Jessica Albas.
Hope you slept well! :)
Well, I headed over to get an Oscar recap since I didn't watch, and you didn't even tell me if Reece won.
I would totally date Clooney too.
I don't know if I would date him, as you know I am generally a fan of the younger man.....but I guess I could mix it up. I loved the comment Jon made about celebs not having enough money to buy a dress that covered there boobs...made me laugh.......ahhhhhhh to have that problem!
Post a Comment