Long, long day at school. Got there early to help with the breakfast club, which is doing well. Then, stayed late to supervise the painting of the set for the school musical. Inhaled too many paint fumes I think. Gotta stay late again tomorrow because the grade 8s are coming to register for next year (here's hoping for a good crop) and then on Thursday we have a staff meeting. Le sigh.
Well, I think some of the kids have come back from March Break lazier than they were when they left. Yeesh. Some days I feel like I'm in need of a good cattle prod.
I was all excited for my Hawksley Workman concert on Saturday. I got an email today saying the concert's been postponed until June 10th because he's sick. I was realllllly looking forward to going on Saturday. I want immediate gratification, dammit! (My I'm-an-only-child-I-want-my-way-now sometimes comes through. But I'm not a spoiled brat, really.)
Well, here's to romorrow being hump day and this week being almost over. I hope we get some actual spring weather sometime. I'm tired of being cold.
ps Today some kids in my period 4 class asked me if I was in highschool in the 1980s or in the 1990s. I said "puh-lease... figure it out." Then one said "80s... right?" and the other said "maybe some 80s, some 90s". I said "apparently you don't want to pass this course." Argh. I try to keep my age on the down-low but then they over-estimate my age and I get mad. Oh well, they're still better than the kid who mumbled "they've been using the same book for thirty years" when I'd told him that I'd read To Kill A Mockingbird in high school. I told the class that story and they laughed and said "at least we're not that bad!"
10 comments:
hahah oh children. That's a great story about To Kill a Mockingbird.
I hate it when you get all excited about a concert and than its canceled or something.
Kids say the darndest things. :)
that made me laugh. I never knew what age I wanted the kids to think I was; not to old to be OLD, and not to young to be close to them in age or inexperienced. I don't know that I was ever satisfied....they never did guess my real age either.
I hate the age factor. I still remember the first time someone called me ma'am......t Gap....I was buying a jacket. Everytime I wear the jacket I remember of the 17 year old calling me ma'am. LOL, good times!
i worked as a camp counsellor for years and years and kids would always guess these really wild ages for me, even though i was always between 15-24. Never failed to make me laugh.
Scott
ahh..that's funny...i'm starting to lie about my age
last year when it was my thirtieth birthday - a student's mom brought in a cake and flowers for me. she then started the class off singing 'happy birthday to you..... how old are you now...." and doing the countdown...'are you one? are you two... are you.....thirty??" needless to say it took forever and was quite embarassing and just rubbed in the fact that it was a milestone birthday!
last year when it was my thirtieth birthday - a student's mom brought in a cake and flowers for me. she then started the class off singing 'happy birthday to you..... how old are you now...." and doing the countdown...'are you one? are you two... are you.....thirty??" needless to say it took forever and was quite embarassing and just rubbed in the fact that it was a milestone birthday!
I read 13th birthday instead of 30th. ha
I think kids love to inflate our ages so much because it gets our figurative (or maybe, literal) goats. I play it up.
Post a Comment