Monday, July 17, 2006

Sleeping all day, staying up all night...

I had a fantabulous day despite the hot hot heat.

I woke up pretty early and had a leirsurely breakfast. And by leisurely, I mean it took me about two hours from start to finish. And no, I did not cook myself some gourmet meal, I'm talking an English muffin, an egg, strawberries, juice and coffee. As I dawdled, I questioned myself to how the hell was I able to wake up at 6:30 am and be out the door at 7:30 (at the absolute latest) a few short weeks earlier...

Today I caught a matinee of the excellent documentary Who Killed the Electric Car?, thus continuing my weekend of eco-documentaries. It's a great comapanion piece to An Inconvinient Truth. It was very well done, and pretty fun. The movie starts with some background info about the electric cars that were developed and actually available to consumers in California in the late 1990s. Yeah, I didn't know about that either. We're talking zero emissions here. After the background, the movie goes through the evidence for all the different suspects in the style of a murder mystery. Tom Hanks and Mel Gibson (with a crazy beard) make appearances, not as suspects but as lovers of the car. Anyhow, I left the movie with a disdain for oil companies, car companies, and George W Bush. Well, I guess always had disdain for those things, but now more so. Go see this movie, or remember to rent it when its out on DVD. It's only playing in one theatre in Toronto, so I suppose if you're in a small town, you will be out of luck. Perhaps its release will expand.

On my way home from the movie, the freakin' subway had some sort of malfunction and stopped, so I had a bit of a hike home. Normally, I wouldn't care, but don't you love when these things happen on the hottest day of the year? At least I was carrying a bunch of groceries or something. That would have sucked.

When I got home, I turned on my trusty computer and saw my friend Mathew on MSN. He'd gotten free tickets to Edgefest II from work, but I had intially planned to go to Stratford this weekend so I'd declined. I've decided to postpone my visit until later in the week because I don't feel like leaving my air conditioner (there isn't one in my room back home), plus my dad is all grumpy because his shovel-foot is acting up. Anyhow, it turned out that Mat hadn't found a taker for the tickets, so I got to go to a spontaneous concert! We arrived in time for Hawthorne Heights (kind of screamy), The All-American Rejects (pretty good) and Yellowcard (quite entertaining as well). It was a great concert for a summer night, and being by the lake made it bit cooler. So yay for spontaneous free concerts!

Well, I should be off to bed soon. Tomorrow's task is to get some pounds and euros for my trip.

Happy Monday!

8 comments:

wes said...

Man, I want to see this movie too, Saskatoon being like Saskatoon, its not playing here either. I will have wait for DVD for this movie as well. I shake my fist at this stupid city sometimes. :)

Scott said...

Sounds like a good time.. the heat was nuts though wasn't it?

Scott

JO said...

wow you really are on a documentary kick... I like that you watch them first and then convince me to go see them :)
Hope the weather cools down for your visit home!

Lea said...

i can't wait to hear all about your trip! sounds like a pretty good summer for you!

Aaron said...

ahh britain, the one trip where you wanna gain pounds before you go....okay my work here is done!

Erueti Brown said...

Enjoy your trip Christielli and by the way Aaron, at the risk of sounding valley girl, that comment you made was "like omg, so totally golden!".

X said...

I really want to see that documentary. I heard it's awesome!

X said...

PS: Wes, you're totally ripping off my fist shakin! LOL, it's ok, I'll let it slide this time :P