Well, tonight is Juno night, and after a big kerfuffle (CTV originally wasn't going to air them until like 11 pm here in Ontario as to not interfere with the Amazing Race. Thankfully, enough people got angry about that), I'm sitting here watching them. And like any good science-minded person, I like to make observations about what ever is happening around me, so here are my 2007 Juno Awards observations.
- Most things Canadian do have some sort of aspect of hokeyness to them. Could it be because hokey is one letter away from hockey? Maybe…
- Honestly, get Jann Arden to host these things every year. Then, we could do away with the hokey skits that are supposed to be funny, because that woman actually is very funny. But maybe that will never happen (see above).
-There is something strangely sexy about Gord Downie. Especially when he is performing or reading poetry.
- A string section makes Three Days Grace a little bit less worse. A little bit. Note: I did not use the word better, because I feel that implies that they have some sort of goodness.
- I figured out what awaits me if I am faced with eternal damnation. I will be locked away in a room with Ben Mulroney and Nickelback, hearing him ask inane questions like “Have you guys thought about running for office?”
- I hope Wes isn’t watching this, not because he hates awards shows, but because all of these commercials for
- I honestly do like Nelly Furtado. Even though her previous Folklore incarnation was more up my alley, her new stuff’s fun. And, I have nothing against her hosting, but really just get Jann Arden every year, please. Or even the Barenaked Ladies. They’re naturally funny too. Hosts with natural funniness will eliminate the need for hokey skits featuring Michael Buble.
- Sloan sooooo should have won Rock Album of the Year. Not only was Never Hear the End of It brilliant, it had the most tracks. If not Sloan, I would have liked to see The Hip win, but they don't give the old bands the awards.
- Awwww shucks, but Ben of Billy Talent (who won the above award) just shouted out Sloan and the Hip in their thank-you speech, so it's okay that they won the above award.
- The City & Colour/Alexisonfire performance was too short. Especially the City & Colour part.
Overall, this year's Junos were okay. I can't be too critical, because no matter what, it is a celebration of Canadian music, and there are always excellent performances in there with the bands I may not love so much.
I hope that next year there will be performances by two of my favourite bands, Stars and the Weakerthans, since their new albums are supposed to be released this fall.
4 comments:
hah! it'd be hilarious if the barenaked ladies hosted the junos and wes was watching. actually, it'd be better to watch wes watch the junos with the barenaked ladies hosting. watching him squirm. haha.
anyhoo ... i've liked most of nelly furtado's songs, and you're right, they are fun.
:)
haha with the hokey/hockey thing.
i was pulling for sloan to win best rock album.
next year when i move away... i won't be able to watch the junos since i won't be living near the border =[.
I have to comment on Nelly's one outfit. Who thought that blue satin, blag nylons and silver shoes would ever come back into style!
lol, the day that Stars and the Weakerthans play at the Juno's is the year I actually watch. :)
I didn't watch it, as you could have expected, but it would have been nice to see it because of its location. Honestly, after living in toon town during the build-up to the Juno's, I never want to hear anything about them again, for the rest of my life. :)
Post a Comment