1) Parliamentary showdowns! Pacts! Coalition governments! Drama! Who would think that Canadian politics could get so interesting?
2) Is it a sign that a person is indecisive if she buys 4 new tops for a party? (Note: tops 1 and 2 have been returned. Top 3 is being kept since it was cheap. Top 4 is going to the party.)
3) I just finished a pretty decent novel ("Remembering the Bones" by Francis Itani). Basically it's the story of an 80-year-old woman's life in small-town Ontario. I really enjoy Canadian fiction like this. I also enjoy fiction that more or less points out that even the most ordinary of lives is pretty interesting, and could make an interesting novel.
Also, reading novels set in small towns makes me want to flee the city (even though I love the city and in reality could never leave it) and go back to my small town roots. Maybe someplace even smaller than St. Ratford.
Also, reading novels with setting in the 1920s-1950s make me wonder what my life would be like if I lived back then. I guess I would have gotten married eons ago? Either that or I'd be a spinster schoolteacher, ha-ha.
4) The setting of the novel I just finished made me listen to the Kim Barlow songs that I downloaded awhile ago. She's a folky singer-songwriter from the Yukon who I saw in October as part of the Pan-Canadian Folk Ensemble. Her song "Dancehall" is so 1940s and appeals to my 1940s retro-side, which I really didn't know that I possessed until I just thought about it right now.
5) That concert was actually recently posted on CBC Radio 2's Concerts-On-Demand site. It's a great listen. My favourite songs are Kim Barlow's "Dancehall" and "Great White Nothing"; Christine Fellows' new song "Dragonfly"; and Old Man Luedecke's song "I Quit My Job". That last one is great, trust me. Anyway, if you are ever in the mood to indulge your inner folk-self (and we *all* have an inner folk-self, right?), listen to this show. Oh, and if you listen closely, maybe you can hear me clapping and singing during the sing-a-longs.
6) I had a super fun Saturday night. I went to the tree-lighting at Nathan Phillips' Square with some pals. Then we wandered around to other places with lights, and ended up going for coffee and then late-night sushi. Here are some Christmas lights pics.

This is the awesome light up Tiger in Koreatown. I really had to talk my pal Mathew into taking us there. He said "this had better be the coolest tiger ever." His verdict: "you got lucky."

Tree at Yonge-Dundas Square

This tree was what all the pomp and circumstance was about.

More lights at Nathan Phillips' Square.

Swarovski tree at the Eaton Centre.
7) Tonight my work spouse called me 'cuz she got Raptors tickets from her real-life husband 'cuz he's going to a football game, and she invited me. I've never been to a basketball game before! Now I just have to go to a football game, a hockey game, and a soccer game and I'll have been to all of the major sports. Ha-ha. Like that's going to happen.
8)I forget if there was anything else I had to say. So I'll leave it for now.
7 comments:
Who is playing at the game that you are going to? Are you stoked? Should be fun.
I have a '40s retro side--1840s.
Small towns are interesting. I live in one and if you listen carefully the secrets of the town are revealed.
What small town are you from?
sweet, the best kind of tickets! That is a pretty cool tiger.
I love, absolutly love that you refer to it as St. Ratford. warms my heart! I also enjoy Le Rat. Brings out my inner frenchness.
The tree at young and dundas is beautiful. Something about the white lights is eye pleasing.
If you need a hockey or football game, I can help you. I am a huge CFL (canadian football)fan and would be able to talk you through the game or help carry beer.
Hey, I was thinking about adding you to my blogroll. Interested?
festive Xmas photos!!!!
Post a Comment