Friday, July 10, 2009

I took the train back; back to where I came from.

Yesterday I took the train home to good ol' St. Ratford. I love taking the train home in the early evening in summer because it means daylight. Taking a train in the darkness is a little bit boring because trains don't follow roads, so it can be a very dark journey and you don't see much. Which means that you can be productive and do some knitting, reading, napping, marking, or whatever strikes your fancy. However, it leaves very little opportunity for gazing out the window and daydreaming, which is what I'm all about.

Last night's train was great for the gazing and daydreaming. I saw all kinds of nifty things including scads of bright orange tiger lilies by the tracks, rivers, people fishing in the rivers, random backyards, dilapidated barns, a deer hopping through a meadow, cute little towns, baseball games in progress, old churches, and a hot air balloon.

Anyway, I'm in town for the wedding of my friend Sandra. My friend Sandra is one of the members of my group of pals from high school. We call ourselves "The Group of Nine" because well, there are nine of us, and we needed some thing to call our little motley crew and couldn't come up with something better. Anyway, we've been out of high school for eleven years now, yet we've still kept in really close touch. The internet has helped: we have our own little facebook group is the grown-up virtual version of our cafeteria table. It was the cafeteria where friendships were forged, strengthened, and many of our inside jokes began.

The nine of us actually haven't been together in the same room since the year 2000 though. We always have an annual Christmas gathering, and there have been some other weddings, but calamity (or schedule conflicts) tends to befall one of the members, and we end up with a family portrait with eight or less. We do however draw their face on a piece of paper and hold it up in their memory.

The last time we were together was when we *all* met Sandra's-then-boyfriend-now-husband Jason. So I think it's befitting that it takes them getting married for the nine of us to make it together again.

But wait, didn't I just call Jason Sandra's husband and they are getting married tomorrow? It's true - they actually got married in October. Jason is from the US, and Sandra wants to live with him after their (July 11th) wedding, so they had to get married early so that could happen because of the crazy red-tape that faces a Canadian marrying an American. So remember this when/if you watch that silly movie The Proposal, or are watching the Canadian Bachelorette choose her American suitor. Oh Jillian dear, you might not get to the altar as soon as you'd like I'm afraid.

Anyway, I get to be the emcee of the shabang tomorrow, so I'm at a coffee shop working on my schtick. It's good that I've started writing this post, because I feel that I've gotten my verbal juices flowing.

And, if my witty observations don't wow them, the cute new shoes and dress I got to wear will! It's always good to have fashion to fall back on.

4 comments:

rawbean said...

I actually noticed that your style of writing was pretty on the ball in this post (it always is, but even MORE so).

Good luck at the wedding and have a great time.

Post picture of dress!

rawbean said...

PS. I was totally a Sprite, but I wanted to be a Fairy!

Name said...

Good luck MC-ing at the wedding. It's an exciting yet anxiety-filled task. If all else fails, get them to kiss.

International romances are tricky and can be sticky...

Miss Ash said...

I would say good luck with hosting the festivities only it's monday and surely over! Hope everything went well....and post some pics of these cute shoes!