Today's Blog Every Day in May Topic is book love. I have a lot of book love. Here are five books that changed my life. Well, perhaps they weren't so life changing as they have been integral parts of my life.
1) The Twits by Roald Dahl - I got this book as a Christmas gift from my much older cousin when I was in grade 4 or so. I remember reading it twice the day I received it, and laughing myself silly. My cousin had a beard at the time, and there is a whole chapter that basically disses men with beards, so I thought it was hilarious that my cousin bought me a book that poked fun at him. This is one of my few items from my childhood that I keep in my own home (the other is my Care Bear) because it's such a fond memory for me. I consider this book life-changing because I think it's the first truly funny novel that I'd ever read, and it turned me onto the work of Roald Dahl, who also wrote Matilda, which carries the important message that being a smart book-ish girl is an awesome thing.
2) Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery - I never really got into any of the other Anne books, but I read the first book of the series over and over again. This is book that I've read the most times in my life, and I feel it belongs on this list as such. Anne is such a lovable and strong heroine, and the setting of Prince Edward Island so vivid and beautiful, that it won't leave your mind.
3) The Glass Lake by Maeve Binchy - I spent a lot of my teenage years devouring the work of Maeve Binchy. This was my favourite novel of hers. Perhaps her books didn't quite change my life, but reading a Maeve Binchy book makes me feel safe, secure, and pleasant and it's nice having that out there.
4) Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling - This is the Harry Potter book where shit gets real, and that's where the series goes from being for kids to being for absolutely everyone. When I finished this one, I knew that I was hooked, and that I would be at any store at midnight when the final three books in the series came out.
5) Clara Callan by Richard B. Wright - I think this is still one of my favourite novels ever. It takes place in Toronto during the Great Depression, and is written as a series of journal entries and letters. I loved this novel because it vividly depicts the Toronto of long ago, and is an interesting, rich and complex narrative.
3 comments:
I remember The Twits. That book was fun.
LOVE the Twits and LOVE Goblet of Fire...it was my fave Harry Potter book of them all :)
How come I don't know Roald Dahl?! I've never heard of him or his stuff??
I loved Clara Callan too - and it was a impulse buy a couple years ago.
I haven't read any Harry Potter - I know. I know. I should get on it.
Post a Comment