Monday, May 20, 2013

#BEDM - Traditions

This post is a day late, as I was visiting my parents in Stratford over the Victoria Day long weekend.  (I'm back now.)

It's ironic that the topic of traditions came up over the long weekend.  Most of my traditions are related to Christmas - work friend gatherings, family traditions, and high school friend gatherings.  However, even though the ultimate May 2-4 tradition only happened when I was in high school, i.e. over a four-year period more than 15 years ago,  I can't have the Friday of this long weekend pass by without thinking of this tradition.

And that is my friend Sandee's legendary May 2-4 pit parties.

They haven't happened in eons, but I feel that on the Friday of the long weekend in May, I should be convincing someone of age to buy me a lot of booze, and getting a ride somehow to my friend Sandee's place, way out in the country.  These parties grew by the year, and I barely remember them, but they were part of my teenagehood.

This year, I had a small bonfire with some of my high school friends last night.  We didn't drink much, nor reminisce about the old days, but I guess as long as some of us get together over the long weekend, the tradition is kept.

No comments: