Friday, May 03, 2013

#BEDM: A Day in the Life

I was going to try to take pictures for this post, perhaps showcasing each hour of my day, but let's face it: a day in my life is a bit too busy for this so words will have to do.

6:15 am: Alarm goes off. I have an obscure 90s song by a band named Starkicker as my wake up.  It's the perfect wake up tune, but so obscure it's not even really on YouTube.  I only remembered it about a month ago and added it as my wake up. Anyway, it's a good wake up song.  I hit snooze.

6:24 am: Phone goes off again.  Cat is whacking me in the face with her paws. She wants treats.  Out of bed.

6:45 am: Cat is treated.  I've eaten breakfast.  Fall asleep on couch for 15 minutes.  My 7:00 am alarm wakes me up again.

7:36 am: Out the door, catch a bus, a train, and then another train.

8:20 am: Once I get to my final stop, I walk to my regular Tim Horton's.  Line is insanely long.  Won't be able to get my morning coffee and make it to school on time.  It's gonna be a rough day.

8:25 am: Stop in staffroom.  Pick up attendance and check mailbox.  Oh good.  I have to cover my friend's computer class during my prep period.

8:40 am: Grade 9 science.  Most of them leave on an English field trip to see Romeo & Juliet.  The remainders work on an assignment as I catch up on marking.

10:10 am: Grade 11 biology. We review a lesson on cell division, then they do some practice work on the lesson.

11:25 am: Lunch.  I check my email and mark in my classroom as a few missed test writers write missed tests.

12:15 pm: Grade 11 environmental science.  Test review game day.  We play Jeopardy! and my headbands game. Headbands is where I stick a key work on a kid's head and the others have to make them guess their word without using the word itself.  It's a fun class.

1:30 pm.  Done the instructional portion of the day.  Go to my friend's computer class (grade 10, most of whom I've taught), take attendance and give them their assignment.  I should be working, but it's really hot in the building and I'm tired so I will blog instead.  I will pay for this 30 minutes of procrastination this weekend.

2:13 pm.  My colleague is here to relieve me.  Must go photocopy and knock things off my to-do list.

2:50 pm. School day over.  I am going to take some students to do volunteer community gardening in the park across from the school.

4:00 pm. Pack my bags to leave.  I have piles of marking to do this weekend.  Argh.

That's a pretty average teaching day for me.  Tonight I'm going to have a laid back Friday night where I maybe have sushi, get groceries, go for a short late-evening run, and do some housework.  That's about it.

4 comments:

Claire said...

Weekend marking, man. I feel you!

Unknown said...

Wow - you teachers have pretty packed days! x

wigsf3 said...

Starkicker??? They were on handsome boy, right?

Jabba said...

Hey - I ike this! My day would be more boring though because it would be like "8:00am - 12:00" draw, lunch then 1:00 - 4:30 - draw". At least these days anyway.